Saturday, April 28, 2012

3KCBWDAY6 Not improving my skillset

I took a look at other peoples' posts about this.  I gave it some thought.  The bottom line for me is that I don't care that much about working specifically to improving my skillset.  There are all sorts of things that could use improving in the crafting that I do.  I'm only motivated to do them if they are already a part of something I want to do.

It probably sounds like a little kid saying "I don't want to!" when asked to do something.  It is a little childish, I guess.  The last four years of the job I'm retired from were horrible.  I was not given adequate training for a job that I wouldn't have chosen if I'd been given a choice.  Now that I don't have to do it, I avoid doing things unless I want to do them.

My existing skillset allows me to work around much of what I don't want to do.  I've been knitting and crocheting for half a century, so I've picked up a few skills here and there.  If the pattern calls for a left-handed traditional Berzerkistani cast on, I use something else.  What if it is essential to the pattern that one uses that specific cast on?  I'd only learn it if I really wanted to make the pattern.  There are so many patterns out there that I'd probably go look for a different one.

Lazy?  Maybe a little.  Unmotivated?  Maybe a lot.

2 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I like learning new techniques, but only if I want to play with them, anyway. Entrelac, thrumming, steeking. On the other hand, I'm really stubborn about things I don't want to do: kitchener (I can 3 needle bind off, or just draw yarn through 8 sts on a sock toe), short rows...

Paula said...

I can relate to being stubborn about things I don't want to do. Long tail cast on? No way.

I like kitchner once I started doing it correctly.