Thursday, April 26, 2012

3KCBWDAY4 Knitter or Crocheter For All Seasons?

I focus on making things much more than I focus on having completed objects.  I select objects to make on how much fun I will have making them rather than how much use I’ll get out of them once they are complete.  I’m so bad about this that I often completely lose interest in something once it is bound off and the ends woven in.  I’ve been obsessed with sock knitting for about 10 years and got my first set of sock blockers last week.  I can’t be bothered with blocking anything unless forced to do it.  The season does not enter into the process.

The climate/season does have a little influence.  I rarely make sweaters or scarves.  I avoid working on my epic Tardis afghan in the hottest part of the summer.  Climate in other places has an influence on what I make because new patterns appear seasonally.  I’m more likely to knit mittens in January than I am in June because I’m more likely to find a new pattern to knit in January.  The influence tends to be what’s happening in the northern hemisphere rather than the southern.  That’s partly because I live in the northern hemisphere.  I also think that there’s a bigger population of knitters in the northern hemisphere than in the southern.  I think I’ll go look at my globe and give that some thought.

No comments: