Friday, November 17, 2017

This week’s yarn fun

I made two squares for my Yarnia blanket.  Two more to go, then much assembly time.

I made a hat.  The cat briefly claimed it as a bed, so it didn’t get washed when it was meant to be.  Picture next time if I get off my lazy behind and block it.

I started a pillow.  I got bored after one pattern repeat and set it to one side.

I got a slipper kit at the same time I got the pillow yarn.  The pattern was a nightmare:  magic loop and steeks.  I absolutely loathe magic loop.  There is nothing magical in fiddling endlessly with stitches on a cable.  I have sworn off anything that is not fun whenever possible.  Therefore, this one is deleted.  The lesson is to check pattern details next time.  The cost of the kit was the same as if I’d just bought the yarn, so it was not so bad.

I started a different slipper pattern using some of the kit yarn.  It has embroidery, so some stash yarn will be used up.

Speaking of stash, mine was enhanced today.  I’ve been trying to limit my yarn purchases unless there’s a good reason.  This sock blank benefits the California wine country that was damaged by wildfires last month.  The vendor is Little Skein in the Big Wool.


Saturday, November 11, 2017

Stash Enhancement Saturday

It's a shawl kit with some extras:
The extras are a pretty project bag that goes really well with the yarn I picked and a journal.  The book with the two smiling women is called a Knocker Jotter.  It features a group of cancer survivors called the Scarlettes.  I think the journal was made for a cancer support group.  These brave women posed for photographs, many including their mastectomy scars.  The thing that left me with tears in my eyes was that the scars were not the main thing I noticed in each picture.  Their smiles were amazing.  It sounds kind of corny, but it is true.

There are three shawl patterns.  I'll pick one eventually and do this for Ravellenics which has nothing whatsoever to do with another event that happens every four years.

Thursday, November 9, 2017

F O Friday

I went through a bucket of UFO (that’s UnFinished Objects) this week.  I asked myself if each would be more fun to finish or more fun to do something else.  Most of the art dolls got tossed.  There was one that did get finished.  The doll body was in a goodie bag I got at a gathering called Artfest over 10 years ago.  It was kind of a do it yourself souvenir.  You dug through things you brought with you and from this whole crazy room of things people donated. This is the result which I call Tulip.

She has bloomers encrusted with sequins.  Her funky granny boots were crocheted with some hand spun someone gave me.  She was fun and will remind me of my last visit to Seattle.

I gave up on the pillow I was working on, mostly because it should be done all with one yarn weight. A little sport weight here, some DK there, and mystery hand spun just would not work.  So I found another pattern and ordered yarn for it.  So much for stash busting.

I did use up leftovers from an afghan to make these boots.

I don’t know what’s next.  There are several basket kits, but they require soaking materials first.  I have a new shawl kit, but want to save it for Ravellenics.  Back to my Ravelry Favorites list for inspiration.

Friday, November 3, 2017

Finished Object Friday

Still testing pictures.  Fingers crossed.

The Yarnia blanket should be done soon.  I think there are only two more pattern releases to go.  This is the one I finished most recently.

The person who designed the Hygge shawls did some mug cozies to use up a little bit of the leftover yarn.  I did one of each.  The second one is technically not complete because it doesn't have its button.  The mug I plan to use it on should be in my mailbox any time now.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

WIP Wednesday 11-1-17

Let's see if I can get this posted correctly.  I get much better pictures with my tablet.  After several downloads and much bad language, I got the cat picture here.

I'm trying to switch to some of the many non-knitting UFOs that are literally collecting dust around here.  Not much luck so far.  I started a pillow using leftover DK yarns.

The problem with using leftovers is that they are all slightly different weights.  The squirrel came out pretty well but it is a bit bigger than the square next to it.  Maybe it'll work out somewhat in the blocking.


Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Finished Objects

Shark  Bite Socks:
Shark Bite II socks:
I went on a bit of a binge when I got my copy of Silk Road Socks.  They all have nice lace patterns which don't always show up because I just had to use yarn that doesn't show them off.  The slipper pattern was modified to fit my puffy feet.




Slouchy Beanie was a pattern I got for donating to The Knit Show.  I haven't seen the episodes yet, but they should show up great on the new computer.
Dancing Skeleton Socks were done for the season and because they had a fun combination of colorwork and lace:
I did a mystery shawl knitalong, designed to use up little bits of leftovers.  It obviously isn't blocked, but it was fun to do.  Hope it is visible on that quilt:
Finally, I got my Harley sweater done.  It wants blocking too:
The neckband had a braid all the way around it.  The sleeves have the same braid.  The places where the sleeves join the body have cables and the cables continue down the sides.  The cuffs and bottom edge have the same cables too.  Perhaps I'll give another try at a picture when it is blocked.

Nap time.