Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Paintbox Quilt, Week 1


pbqweek1
Originally uploaded by Paula knits
Okay, I'm done ranting and fussing and have moved on to the sewing machine. I got a roll of solid color 2 1/2" strips of Kona cotton in the dusty shades (equilter has it and shipped it promptly).

Each week we make four pairs of blocks. Each pair involves a solid and coordinating print. They won't all be pink. I started at one end of the roll and that end just happened to have pinks.

What I learned this week:

  1. Even though the directions say the prints should be 10" squares, they don't have to be exactly that. The squares get cut up into other pieces so I can use fat quarters and other scraps.
  2. Precision is important. When I do the cuts for next week, I'll use one of the big rulers.
  3. Precision REALLY is important. When I sew next week, I'll put the quarter inch foot on my machine.

When the pieced squares are done, there's a strip of solid fabric 1.75" x 40" left. I'm carefully saving these. I don't thing the quilt calls for them to be used and I think they could be pieced into something pretty groovy.

No comments: