Tuesday, November 18, 2008

IYNF 2009

The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations has declared 2009 to be the International Year of Natural Fibres. Focusing on natural fibers is a good thing for farmers, especially poor ones, who grow plants and raise animals for fiber. It's a good thing for the planet, in that natural fibers are not a one-time petroleum-based creation.

I can support this in my small way. I'm pretty conscious of what kinds of fibers I buy. I'll make sure to focus on the natural ones much more in the future. As for my immediate plans, I found some wool/llama blend in my stash that will be the main part of my crocheted jacket. I found some Manos del Uruguay wool that'll work well with it. The colors will be more subtle in my jacket than the original, but the original wasn't made with natural fibers.

No comments: