Friday, February 22, 2008

Am I Unreasonable?

Here's the story: An online yarn shop gets an order for two skeins of sock yarn (two skeins required for two socks of this kind of yarn). When they pull the skeins out to ship them, they see that the skeins and from different dye lots. If you were the person in charge of this particular task would you:
-email the customer and ask if they wanted not-matching dye lots? -or-
-send the yarn out with a little note saying that if the customer didn't like the match, they could send the yarn back and they'd send skeins that matched. Eventually. After they reordered it.

Am I unreasonable to expect the first option? You know I'm whining about this because I got the second option. I'm sending the yarn back and requesting a refund. I don't know what their policy is on refunds but I don't care because they screwed it up. The yarn was a semi-solid color, so the difference between the skeins was noticeable. And it was for a swap! I wasn't going to disappoint a swap pal with something that can be controlled.

The good thing that came out of this was I got some totally different sock yarn from a totally different online shop. There's no dye lot problem because the skein's got plenty for two socks. I had to order some for my pal and some for me both. I HAD to order two. There was a minimum order requirement. And I wasn't sure which colorway would be best for her, I had to have two to compare. And it was on sale. And I've not seen this kind in any of the three LYS within 20 minutes of here. See, I'm very reasonable.

::several days later::The shipping was refunded both ways along with the cost of the yarn. I still think it could've all been avoided with a simple email, but oh well.

2 comments:

Jane Doe Jenn said...

Boy, that really sucks having to go through that. Glad to hear they gave you a full refund, and hopefully they will have ammended their policy on mismatched skeins. I would think anyone who runs a yarn store would right away assume that two of the same color should have matching dye lots. I would have done the same thing.

Paula said...

Thanks, it's good to know someone else would've done the same thing. I was told that it was a rare problem because they usually took them off of the site before that happened. Also, some people don't mind mismatched skeins. That may be true, but the whole unpleasantness could've been avoided with one quick email. Sheesh.