Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Journal Bag

I had several goals in mind for this project. First, I wanted to use up a bunch of recycled sari silk. Second, I wanted to have a bag that I could put the electronics for Knitty's Know It All Bag on. I wanted a bigger bag than that. Also, I don't think that the sari silk felts. Finally, I wanted a bag that would be the right size for one of my composition book journals. I crocheted it because I thought it would be more stable than knitting, it would be thicker than knitting (even felted), and I'd read that crocheted sari silk handled the fuzzy bits of thread better than knitting. Based on my experience, I agree with that last part.

I'm posting this here in case someone else might be thinking of a similar project. I have no doubt you could do a flashier job, but maybe this will help give you a launching point.

Journal Bag

Materials
Recycled sari silk in multicolor, about 1 1/2 skeins/250 yards total
Solid color, 50-75 yards total
Size H crochet hook

Front and Back
With multicolor, chain 25.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook, sc in each chain across. 24 stitches
Row 2: Ch 2, dc in 2nd stitch, dc in each stitch across.
Row 3: Ch 1, sc in 2nd stitch, sc in each stitch across.

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until the piece is about 9 1/2 " long. Finish with row 3.
For the front, end off.

For the back, make the same as the front to this point. Cut the multicolored yarn and switch to the solid color. Work row 3 only (only single crochet) until the solid color is about 5-6" long.
Border row: *sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc, sl, *repeat until end.
Sc up the side to the point where the solid color turns to multicolor. Set aside.

Sides and Strap
With multicolor, chain 5.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook, sc in remaining chains. 4 stitches.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in 2nd stitch, sc in each stitch across.
Repeat row 2 until piece is around 60" long. Sew the ends together. It should be a loop without any twists in it.

Finishing
Back and sides: Hold the side/strap piece seam to the back piece at the point where you stopped. Slipping the hook through the edge of the strap and the edge of the back, sc around the side, bottom, second side of the back, and down the second side of the flap. Fasten off and weave the end in.

Front and sides: Work as for the back and sides. Sc across the top edge, too, if you'd like.

Lining
Note that the bags in the picture were unlined when I took the picture.
Cutting: A fat quarter (22" x 18") may be enough material to cut these pieces.
Add 1/2" to each measurement before cutting for seam allowances.
Front: measure height and width.
Back: same as front.
Sides: Height should be the same as the front. Measure the width.
Bottom: Width is the same as the front width. Length is the same as the side width.

Sewing: Using a 1/4" seam, sew front to sides and back to sides. Sew bottom to the bottom. Turn inside out. Turn top edge under 1/4". Slip lining into bag and slip stitch into place around the top inside of the bag.

No comments: