Saturday, June 1, 2013

Twisted

When I signed up for Tour-de-Sock, I knew there would be at least one of "those" cast-ons. They have names like Modified Tragikistani Super Stretchy Extra Long Tail cast-on. What I didn't expect is that I would have to face one on the first freaking sock.

My nemesis is the Twisted German Cast-On aka the Old Norwegian Cast-On. My German and Norwegian ancestors are no doubt giggling in their graves at my pathetic attempts to learn this. The source of my problem appears to be that I'm supposed to be knowledgeable in many different kinds of cast-ons. I'm not. Every video and every written instruction I've come across says that this cast-on is just like the whatever cast-on except you do x y and z instead. Here's an example from the Reader's Digest Knitter's Handbook.

The German Twisted cast-on is just like the German cast-on:

except you do it like this instead:

It's not instructional, it's twisted. I think I'll go do something a lot more fun, like cleaning out the cat litter box.

No comments: