The two-at-a-time toe-up socks did not work. The leg portion is too small. I was about to start the heels and tried to try one on. Not going to fit. My problem with the pattern is that it was general directions: do this for a couple of rows, do that for some more rows, and then try it on. Ick. If I wanted to write a pattern, I'd write one.
One good thing about it is I was able to see how the yarn I'd dyed knit up. I used a technique I learned last year at SAFF. The point is to make yarn that doesn't form a pattern. It works better if you've got three people involved in applying the dye to the yarn. I did it by myself and it worked out well. No striping to speak of and very little pooling.
The other good thing is that I can frog it, put it aside, and start in on my Flower Power STR yarn!