Saturday, August 18, 2012

Knit Books

I got Hunter Hammersen's The Knitter's Curiosity Cabinet yesterday. The patterns in it are inspired by old botanical illustrations. Each of the inspirations results in two different patterns, a sock and a non-sock (hat, cowl, shawl, etc.). I liked the patterns and know that a bunch of the sock patterns will be knit. The non-sock patterns are also nice, but most are not things that I like to do. Now I want Hammersen's first book, Silk Road Socks. Looks like it might require some hunting to track down a copy.

Cookie A Knitwear Volume 1: Shapes + Form e-book was released recently. As fond as I am of Cookie's sock patterns, I wasn't fond of this at all. It's again a matter of it not having things in it that I'd like to do. In my opinion, they are mostly suited for young slender girls. The patterns have a wide range of sizes and a couple of them are in Ravelry's top 20 favorite patterns. Clearly, my opinion is in the minority. It's well worth checking out.

Indie Socks: Knitting Patterns and Dyer Profiles Featuring Hand-Dyed Yarns by Chrissy Gardiner is on the way. It may be in my mailbox right now but it is 2:15 am and I'm not going to attempt to cross the road in the dark to see if it is there. With all the hand-dyed multicolored sock yarn in my stash, I have my fingers crossed that there will be some good ideas in it.

1 comment:

Gracey is not my name.... said...

I have Indie Socks and enjoy it...haven't started any of the patterns yet, as I have 4 pairs on the needles I need to finish...I just like sock books....the first one sounds interesting...