Wednesday, March 30, 2011

2KCBWDAY3

Tidy mind, tidy stitches

I like having things organized. Sometimes I like the organizing process better than performing a task with whatever it is I've organized. I think that's why I enjoy Ravelry so much. It fits right into the organizing scheme.

When I get some new yarn, I take a picture of it and enter the information on Ravelry. I have a bunch of buckets that used to hold cat litter and now hold fibers. The yarn gets stashed in the appropriate bucket. A note of which bucket is included with the Ravelry information.

Patterns are not quite so tidy. I keep as many as I can in my Ravelry library and try not to print anything out until I'm going to use it. I've got three or four big binders full of patterns in plastic sleeves. Most of them are grouped together where I can find them. (We won't talk about the stack of unfiled patterns that are piled up next to the binders.)

Crochet hooks live in a vintage silver baby cup, in a drawer in the coffee table, or hidden in the bottom of a yarn bucket. All dpns smaller than US4 live in the knitting basket, along with my Knit Picks interchangeable circular needles. I made a hanging needle holder following directions in one of the Stitch 'n Bitch books. It lives in a closet and holds most of the rest of my circulars. I rarely use straight knitting needles, but I still have a bunch of them. They live in a needle case that someone gave me a long time ago.

This blog is a part of the organizing process. I created it pre-Ravelry, when I was getting back into kntting a lot. It started out as a place for me to go on and on about whatever I was working on at the moment or something new I'd discovered. I still do that. Lately it has become the last step for many projects. My inner child wants to say, "Look what I made!". I let her show it off here.

No comments: