Monday, March 28, 2011

2KCBWDAY1

A Tale of Two Yarns

One of my favorite yarns is Socks That Rock lightweight by Blue Moon Fiber Arts. The people who dye these yarns are very talented. The colors and color combinations are terrific. The base yarns are spun in such a way that I don't split the yarn when I knit. The skein length is what keeps me from using it more often. A STR skein is 360 yards which is a shorter than many of the skeins in my stash. Patterns usually just list the yarn used to knit the sample, not an estimate of the actual amount of yarn you might need. If a pattern calls for a 400+ yard skein, I won't take the chance of using Socks That Rock.

One yarn I haven't enjoyed using was Knit Picks Comfy. It's a 75% cotton/25% acrylic blend. I knit the Susie Hoodie with this yarn and absolutely hated the resulting garment. It weighs a ton and I'll never wear it. I wouldn't put the blame on this specific yarn, but I would put it squarely on anything cotton. Cotton has no elasticity and I do not like it. I knit the similar Central Park Hoodie with Poems by Wisdom Yarns. That's 100% wool and I like the garment. Cotton's great for dishcloths and mop covers, but it's on the no-fly list for any more clothing.

No comments: