Tuesday, March 29, 2011

2KCBWDAY2

Skill + 1UP

I've always been drawn to knitting in different colors. I've tried it many times, but did not have a whole lot of success with it. The floats (yarn that floats behind the active stitches when a color isn't being used) were usually too short and tight. Over the last year, I've managed to improve. It involved a lot of little things:

  • Reading how-to documents. There are books and blogs and videos that explain and demonstrate techniques.
  • Practice. I worked on my tension. When I learned about yarn dominance, I concentrated on that.
  • Yarn. Knit Picks Palette yarns seem to work the best for me for colorwork. I bought a kit for an Andean Earflap Hat that included that yarn. It was the first thing I'd made using multiple yarns that I was happy with. I promptly made a second hat and then designed and knit a third.

If I can improve at colorwork, maybe someday I'll be able to do ribbing that looks reasonable.

1 comment:

erin kate said...

Colorwork is one of those things that just takes practice. If you haven't tried the two handed method, I recommend it! Search it on youtube for some good tutorials. :)