Friday, December 4, 2009

Buy or Dye?

I have some yarn that I brought back from Ireland several years ago. I found a vest pattern that I want to make using the yarn. There is only enough yarn to make the vest front. It is a dark green tweed. I bought some solid green yarn that I thought would match the Irish yarn. I was wrong.

I'm debating over what to do. I had trouble coming up with the right color to match the yarn I already had. I had checked about a half-dozen shops in the area before buying what I did. Buying online isn't an option because I can't count on my monitor showing yarn colors accurately enough for a good match.

I'm thinking about overdyeing the yarn to come up with something more compatible. It would require a number of experiments to come up with the correct color. Still, this seems like the better option. I already have the yarn and dyes.

No comments: