What we have here is a skein of Malabrigo laceweight baby merino. The fibers were hanging onto each other big time. It took a long time to wind, but the not-so-swift made it a LOT easier. If I'd dumped the yarn over one knee instead of using this silly thing, I'd still be untangling it.
I've used this same creation with sock yarn and it spins around more like a traditional swift. I weight the bottommost round thingy in the center so it stays in one place. I remove one of the two yellow pegs at the end of each arm. It works fairly well, especially for something that didn't cost anything to make.