Friday, May 11, 2018

Finished Object Friday

I finished this weeks ago.  Per usual, I just got a picture of it.

I got the pillow form for this one and finished it up.

It uses a clever technique that was new to me.  It's called jacquard something, feeble brain can't come up with it at the moment.  Instead of wrapping the yarn around to create floats, you do something else.  You cast on an extra stitch for every 5 in the pattern.  If you were knitting a 100 stitch pattern, you'd cast on 120 stitches.  You follow the pattern for 5 stitches.  The 6th stitch is purled in whatever color is being carried and not worked at that point.  Then you do it again all the way across.  The purl stitches disappear on the right side.  On the back side, it looks like columns of knit stitches with plain bits of yarn connecting them.  The woman who designed this pattern said that commercial knitting is done in a similar way.

In the unfinished department, there's only the sweater I've been working on and off for months.  I've over halfway to the point where I get to do something other than knitknitknit.

In the stuff I'm planning, there's yarn on the way for a sweater.  I got Susan Crawford's new book on Shetland knitting.  I knit a hat from the book as a test of my fair isle skills.  The fair isle part came out pretty well, so I decided to give it a go.  I think it has a steek, though.  I'll think about that later.


No comments: