Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Insomnia Girl goes Shopping

I should be really tired but I'm not. It's the middle of the night and I've been shopping. I promised myself I could acquire some yarn for a specific project as a birthday present for moi.

I've been working on Celestarium. It's a circular shawl with constellations worked in via beads and yarnovers. If you were at the North Pole and looked up, it is what you would see. It's fun and easy and the first thing I've made in a month that I haven't screwed up majorly. I decided I'd do the pattern's South Pole version, Southern Skies.

I poked around on Etsy and didn't find anything suitable for the project. I did happen upon a dyer that is new to me. The Yarns of Rhichard Devrieze come from Canada. If they are half as pretty as the pictures, I will be happy. I only got enough for one pair of socks, so it wasn't all that naughty.

I headed back to Ravelry for some inspiration. I found a scarf pattern that I want to knit. It uses multicolored laceweight with long color repeats. I was charmed by the yarn. It turns out that it's only available in Europe. Well, I might be able to order it from Germany, but my ability to communicate in German is pretty much gone. And then there's the shipping. Noro makes laceweight so that's what I decided to use. I suspect that the color repeats aren't as long as the original yarn, but it should work okay. I found the Noro at Paradise Fibers. I ended up getting the yarn for Southern Skies there, too. It's Kollage Sock-a-licious Sock Yarn in the Blue Heaven colorway. It's a semisolid almost turquoise blue. The beads are from Fire Mountain. If my monitor's showing colors correctly, it should be a good match.

Uh-oh. Back to the email box for those purchase confirmations and what also appears? A sale notice from Gail Wilson Designs. I've been a fan of Gail Wilson since the 1980s. She had all these cool kits for making tiny dolls and teddy bears and bunnies. She does gorgeous early American style dolls now. I ordered a kit to make two tiny (2.5") dolls and one for making a pumpkin man.

I think I'm done now. I ordered what I intended (and then some) and confessed my sins here. I'm still not sleepy, so it's time for a Godzilla DVD and some more Celestarium knitting.

No comments: