Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Leon Syndrome

I've got this mental block when it comes to letters.  If the order needs to be changed or the shapes reversed, odds are I'll screw it up.  I call it the Leon Syndrome.  When I was in junior high school, we were making  Christmas cards using linoleum block prints.  You carve out a design, ink it up, and then press it onto paper.  The one I was doing was meant to say noel at the top.  I did do the shapes correctly but I switched the order and ended up with leon.  I was humiliated when everyone laughed, but think it is pretty funny all these years later.

The Leon Syndrome struck again yesterday.  I was knitting several dishcloth squares at the same time.  I wanted to make a little rug for the kitchen.   The patterns I'm using were different sizes and not all of then had graphs.  I carefully worked out a consistent size and how each pattern would be placed.  I graphed the patterns that needed them.  I didn't remember that the design is knit from the back.  I didn't notice for about 20 rows.

I stuffed the whole thing in a bag and switched back to knitting a sock.

No comments: