Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ice Ice, Baby


ice
Originally uploaded by Paula knits
I bought some more yarn. Big surprise.

My current obsession is with Nerd Wars. The Head Nerds have declared that there will be a KAL for all warriors of the Titania Sweater in the next round. Everyone who finishes will get full points plus bonus for this project. I want to get full points for my team and I want to knit along with everyone.

The Tatiana Sweater is a pretty, lacy pullover sweater in a number of sizes. However, the design looks best on slender bodies with cup sizes in the very beginning of the alphabet. Neither of those qualities applies to yours truly. Some people in my situation are modifying the pattern. Having seen pictures of larger women in this sweater, there's no way I'm going to do it. It makes me think of that saying, "Just because they make Spandex clothing in your size doesn't mean you should wear it". No offense meant to those who do. I just don't do negative ease.

I still want to do the sweater, but do not want to invest a lot of money in something I'll be giving away. I Googled bargain yarns which got me to Yarn Paradise. Yarn Paradise appears to be where all the novelty yarn comes from. It also has some exceptionally inexpensive prices. The bag of worsted weight cotton/lycra yarn in the picture was $5.99. Not $5.99 a ball, $5.99 for the whole bag. Shipping was more than that. Even if you factor that into the price, the whole project is going to be around $16. I ordered the yarn over the weekend and it got here on Tuesday. From Istanbul.

My only regret is that I didn't pick a different color. This looked more green on my monitor. I conveniently ignored the more accurate description of the color.

No comments: