Monday, October 5, 2009

Shop Hop: Stops 2 and 3


Lulu and I hopped (groan) into the Paulamobile and headed east this morning. We drove and drove and drove through the drizzle until we reached

Stop 2 - Main Street Yarns and Fibers in Watkinsville.

What I liked: Noro Kureyon Sock on sale for $7.20. The shop is spacious, with lots of different kinds of yarn. There's a separate entrance for what I think was a dye studio. I took a dyeing class at the shop's previous location and enjoyed it a lot. The staff was friendly and helpful. The icing on this particular cake was getting a can of diet Coke for the road. I wish this shop was a lot closer to me.

Freebie: a simple but striking cap pattern for bulky weight yarn.

We then drove back to

Stop 3 - Yarn Garden Knit Shop in Lawrenceville.

What I liked: There was a good variety of yarn and it's nicely displayed. It's just that I'm already a teensy bit burned out at looking a shelves of yarn. One of the people in the shop pointed me to the book room. There were more books than I'd seen at any shop so far and I like that they had a separate space for them. I wasn't in the market for any books, but then I spotted Curvy Knits Cambridge. It's a booklet of six patterns by Jillian Moreno and I want to make all six. If you are a person who doesn't make anything out of Vogue Knitting because the largest size is light-years away from what would fit you, hunt this booklet down.

Freebie: a Winter Shrug pattern made worsted weight yarn. I'm not much of a shrug person, but if I was, I'd make this one.

The duck and I will be taking a couple of days off before completing the Hop. In the meantime, I'll be figuring out if I've got enough of the green tweed I brought back from Ireland to make the cute vest in Curvy Knits.

No comments: