Friday, May 1, 2009

Naughty Friday

It started out fairly well. I had a couple of errands to run plus I wanted to get a copy of the new knit.1. I know I'm not in their demographic, but even a pre-geezer can want more groovy sock patterns. I tried Cast-On Cottage. They didn't have it. I figured, what the heck, I'm not that far from Borders, I'll try there. No luck. Since I'd driven all that way, I decided to pick up a copy of my favorite British knit magazine, Simply Knitting. It wasn't too naughty to do that. I hadn't gotten a copy for months.

The next shopping center down the road had a Michaels, so I tried there. No luck. I picked up some crochet cotton for a little pincushion pattern I'd been wanting to try. It wasn't too naughty to do that.

Since it was going to be a drive to get anyplace from there, I decided to head to Woodstock and try The Whole Nine Yarns. No luck. They used to carry knit.1 but they don't now. I was not remotely naughty and did not buy anything.

I decided to take the scenic route back (Arnold Mill instead of the dreaded Hwy. 92). Since I would end up within a mile of Only Ewe and Cotton Too, I headed there. No luck. That's where my self-control started to break down. I picked up this:
Looks a little like Noro sock yarn, doesn't it? The minute I touched it, though, I knew it was something else. Instead of having my fingers fall off from the roughness, it was soft. It's a superwash/nylon blend. It is called Poems Sock from a company called Wisdom Yarns. It was relatively inexpensive, so I bought it. It was a little naughty, but not horribly so.

Then I got home. My search for the magazine led me to Webs. The shipping on the magazine was less than the cost of gasoline in continuing to hunt for it locally. However, it nearly doubled the magazine's cost. I figured that I could offset it a little by buying a little yarn. That's when naughtiness took over. Webs has these really tempting discounts. Lime & Violet listeners may remember Miss Violet buying yarn for extra sweaters because it was like getting it for free. I fell into a similar, though smaller scale, trap. I've got a ball of Opal's Harry Potter yarn and two skeins of Malabrigo sock on the way with the magazine.

I'll be in the corner with my dunce cap and the fourth Sock Madness sock.

No comments: