Monday, December 31, 2012

Favorite Yarns of 2012

These are the yarns that I liked the best this year and are currently available. They are all sock yarn. That's probably because I use fingering weight yarns more than any others. I've knit with all of them. In no particular order:
  • Madelinetosh Tosh Sock, 100% merino. This is available from multiple sources.
  • Plucky Knitter Primo Fingering, 75% merino, 20% cashmere, 5% nylon. This is available from multiple sources.
  • Socktopus Sokkusu Original, 100% merino. Available from Socktopus' web site plus a few other locations.
  • Cephalopod Yarns Skinny Bugga!, 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon.
  • String Theory Caper Sock, 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon.
I haven't knit with these yet. They're the ones that are shouting at me to use them immediately.
  • Quaere Fibre Shiny, 75% merino, 20% nylon, 5% stellina. The colors are so good that I went off my yarn diet twice in the past two weeks to pick up more.
  • Mad Color Fiber Arts several different bases. I just finished a Firefly-themed club. The yarns were great matches to the characters. The JessaLu project bag was icing on the extra-chocolaty cake.
  • Cakewalk Yarns Footsie, 75% merino, 25% nylon. Cakewalk's dyer has a unique dyeing style resulting in yarns I can love. There's a lavender with a bunch of other colors that's calling to me right now. Must resist. Must use pretty yarns I already have. ETA: resistance was futile. I bought it.

2 comments:

Gracey is not my name.... said...

I won a Cakewalk Yarn..I believe the color is Rhinebeck, but haven't used it yet....and well I just might have to try some of the others you wrote about...we are bad influences on each other!

Paula said...

(laughing) we are horrible influences on each other. Thanks! Between you and the Cookie A club, I don't think the list in this post would have much on it.