Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Whovian Crafts

I'm on this big Doctor Who kick lately. It's a British science fiction show that originally started in the 1960s. I've been watching a whole bunch of old shows on DVDs. One of the Doctors (they change periodically) is known for a ridiculously long knit scarf. It has inspired the show's many fans to knit the scarf and make other crafts, too.

I made the scarf about, ummm, 30 years ago. It didn't make the move with me from Colorado to Georgia. I didn't think I'd have a use for it here. Now I want to make another one, but want to do it in fingering weight yarn with half as many stitches wide.

I got the idea of making a box for all my sock-making tools in the shape of the Doctor's space travel vehicle, the Tardis. I planned to make it similar to a sewing box I'd made back in my cross-stitching days. It has four flaps that are connected on the base. The box lid holds the flaps up and closed. I've got the design drawn up and know what materials I'll need, but haven't gotten father than that. A couple of weeks after working up the design, I happened upon this sewing box. Mine wasn't intended to be exactly like this one, but it the ideas are similar enough for me to be very surprised. I guess there are too many crafty Doctor fans for there to be many truly original ideas. A tip of my fez to the person who designed it and shared all of her work via those zillions of Flickr pix.

I've got another project in the works, but it isn't knitting or fiber related. If it works out, I'll be using it in an upcoming swap. It's going to be a secret until then.

If these projects plus all my non-Who projects weren't enough, now I want some of the Time Traveler sock yarn from Knit Picks. It's self-striping and is in six of the seven colors of the original Doctor Who scarf. They've not mentioned the inspiration for the colorway, but the description of the yarn lets those of us who dig the Doctor know what it was.

I'm off to watch the latest disc from Netflix. I'll be digging through my stash to see if I've got the right colors for some Dalek socks.

No comments: