Friday, April 24, 2009

I stopped when my tote was full

I just got back from Stitches South. It was yarn heaven. I had a little luck with finances this week, so I was able to budget a little bit for stash enhancement. I manged to stay under budget, too:

  • 6 ounces of alpaca roving from Windy Hill Alpaca Farm, which is here in Georgia.
  • a ball of Plymouth Sockotta from Discontinued Brand Name Yarn. It was only $5, so I couldn't not buy it.
  • Berroco Sox metallic. If it glows in the dark or is shiny, I must have it.
  • Malibrigo sock. I was after semisolid and this was kind of semisolid and I think I got a little discount on it when I bought it and the Berroco at Webs booth. Come on, it's mmmmmmMalabrigo!
  • The yellow (jonquil) and pink (bazooka) yarns are from Lisa Souza Knitwear and Dyeworks. I was amazed to talk to the actual Lisa Souza herself. Miss Lime and Miss Violet used to talk about her all the time, so I felt like I was in the presence of royalty.
  • On the far edge of the vendor area was a woman selling African fabric. When I saw the pink and gold stuff, it was all over. I had a little fat quarter Friday right on the spot. I've been thinking of redesigning my project bags so they use one or two fat quarters, so that was my excuse for that purchase.


I got to look at all sorts of cool stuff. The things that really appealed to me were all in laceweight: shawls, scarves, vests. I touched my first garment made from Quiviut. Windy Valley Musk Ox was selling balls of it. $90 could get you enough for a scarf. Gita Maria had these really cute scarf kits, complete with a wide variety of handmade shawl pins. There were a whole lot of other great things to see, but I made myself stop when the tote filled up. It was worth the trip.

No comments: