Thursday, June 27, 2019

Riding Mountain National Park

There’s a third category on my National Parks list:  almost visited.    Riding Mountain is a Canadian park in Manitoba.  My mother’s parents came from Manitoba. When I was young, they wanted to take me with them on a trip there.  I decided for some weird reason that I didn’t want to go.  It was more than 35 years before I got a chance to visit the province.  Unfortunately I did not get to Riding Mountain.  If I had gone on the first trip, I could hardly have missed it.  The closest town to the park is Dauphin, where my grandparents are from.

I managed to miss the US National Parks 100th anniversary in 2016 and Canadian National Parks 150th anniversary in 2017.  If I had started this project earlier, more souvenir yarns would’ve been available.  Fleece Artist did a whole series covering the Canadian parks.  They are pretty, unique, and no longer available.  I used pictures of their Riding Mountain yarn to select a souvenir.


This skein from Hedgehog Fibres is a pretty good consolation prize.

No comments: